Embajada de Australia
Andorra y Guinea Ecuatorial

Visas for Australian citizens travelling to Spain

Information on visas for Australian citizens travelling to Spain

Australian consular representatives cannot arrange visas, work or residence permits, or help you to obtain them.

Information on visas or other travel authorisations required to visit foreign countries should be obtained from relevant diplomatic missions in Australia or through your travel agent. 

Other useful information on visas may be found on websites hosted by travel.com.au, Lonely Planet and the various Rough Guides to travel. Please note: The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade does not vouch for the accuracy of information provided by these websites, nor do we endorse any organisation or commercial service provided on these sites.


Travelling to Spain as a tourist

Spain, as a member of the Schengen States, does not require Australians citizens travelling to Spain as tourists to obtain a visa prior to arrival.

On arrival from a non-Schengen state Australian citizens will be issued with a short period visa, or the common ‘Schengen Visa’, which permits a maximum stay of 90 days over a six month period within the Schengen State area (that is, 90 days over six months in the entire Schengen State area, and not in each individual Schengen state). The Schengen States are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

If you wish to extend your 90 day ‘Schengen Visa’ contact the Spanish Ministry of the Interior on 060 (Spanish only). Please note Spanish authorities rarely extend the ‘Schengen Visa’.

Work or Residents Permits

Australian Citizens wanting to work or reside in Spain must apply for the appropriate visa from the nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate. You should apply for the relevant visa from outside of Spain, if you do not, you will be issued the standard ‘Schengen Visa’ upon arrival which does not grant you the right to reside or work in Spain. Spanish immigration authorities will not generally grant a work or residence visa to Australian citizens who enter Spain on a ‘Schengen Visa’.

If you are in Spain and want information on obtaining a work or residence visa contact the Spanish Ministry of the Interior on 060 (Spanish only).

If you have a work, residence, or ancestry visa for any other European Union country, such as the United Kingdom, this visa is not transferable to Spain.