Embajada de Australia
Andorra y Guinea Ecuatorial

Getting married in Spain

Information on getting married in Spain

Australian government representatives cannot perform marriage ceremonies and you cannot get married at an Australian Embassy or Honorary Consulate.

Australian Citizens who wish to marry in Spain must contact the Spanish Civil Registry where they intend to marry and confirm the documents required by the Registry authorities.  You may find your nearest Registry by dialling 010 in Spain, which connects you to the local council, which is able to confirm the Registry's address details.

Documents "normally" required by Spanish civil registries

  • A recently issued (less than 3 months old), original Australian Birth Certificate from the relevant Australian State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (1)

  • A Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (2)

  • A Certificate of Residence in the past 2 years (3)

  • One of the marrying parties must be a resident of Spain and registered with their local council in Spain

    Further information on how to obtain these documents is as follows:
  1.  To obtain an Australian Birth Certificate please contact the relevant Australian State or Territory Government web site where you were born. These are as follows:

Once the Birth Certificate has been issued, you must have this original certificate legalised with the Apostille of The Hague.  This Apostille can only be obtained in Australia from the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade State and Territory Offices.  Please note you will be charged a fee for this service.

Once the original document has had an Apostille seal applied you must arrange to have this document translated by a Spanish Sworn Translator (Traductor Jurado). To locate the Sworn Translator nearest to you, please click here.

  1. You may then apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage at the Australian Embassy in Madrid.  You must contact the embassy to make an appointment. You will then be required to present yourself, in person, in Madrid bearing appropriate identification and the relevant fees in cash only. The Embassy will then issue the Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (in Spanish).  Please note you will be charged a fee for the Certificate of No Impediment.

  1. A Certificate of Residence can be issued by the Australian Embassy in Madrid. You must contact the embassy to make an appointment. You are required to state in a Statutory Declaration where you have resided permanently for the last two years. You must sign this Statutory Declaration before a Consular Representative. The Embassy will then issue the Certificate of Residence (in Spanish).  Please note you will be charged a fee for both witnessing the Statutory Declaration and for the Certificate of Residence itself.


Note: Notorial acts (including the issuing of Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage and Certificates of Residence) are only available at the Australian Embassy in Madrid.

For further advice on travelling to Spain please visit www.smartraveller.gov.au

Please confirm fees for service for the current month.