Australian Embassy
Andorra and Equatorial Guinea

Getting Married in Australia

Getting married in Australia

You do not have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry in Australia.

You will find complete information about getting married in Australia on the Australian Attorney-General's Department's Marriage Celebrants Program website.

Part of the process of getting married in Australia is the filing of a completed Notice of Intended Marriage form (PDF) to an authorised marriage celebrant within six months of your proposed marriage and no later than one month and one day prior.  This form can be accessed from the website above.

A Notice of Intended Marriage form can be lodged from overseas as long as it has been signed in the presence of:

  • an Australian Diplomatic Officer,

  • an Australian Consular Officer,

  • an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3 (c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955,

  • an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, or

  • a notary public.

The Notice of Intended Marriage form may be signed and lodged by only one party to the marriage as long as the other party is able to sign the form in the presence of an authorised celebrant at a later date but before the marriage takes place.